How Will Brexit Affect American Travelers?

Many people are still reeling from the Brexit referendum, both in Britain and in other countries around the world.

Britain’s decision to leave the EU will directly impact the daily lives of all British people — but even if you don’t live there, you still stand to be affected. Whether you have a European holiday already on the books, or you’re just dreaming of travel plans in the future, it pays to read up a bit on Brexit before you go. That way, you won’t be caught off guard by some of the regulations that could potentially change in the future.

Let’s start by answering a few common questions about Brexit before we get into the details of how it might affect American travelers.

What is Brexit?

Brexit (which stands for British Exit) was a referendum held on June 23rd, 2016. The question was posed to the British people about whether they wanted to remain part of the European Union, or whether they should seek independence. The vote came down 52% in favor of leaving, with 48% voting to remain.

TheaDesign / Shutterstock.com

TheaDesign / Shutterstock.com

What is the EU?

It’s not a silly question! It was actually the second most popular search query in Britain following the Brexit results. The European Union (EU) was established in 1992, and is an economic and political union of 28 different European countries. The EU serves as a single free market, which allows the unfettered movement of people, goods, and services throughout all of its member countries.

Botond Horvath / Shutterstock.com

Botond Horvath / Shutterstock.com

What happens next?

Parliament will need to pass a motion through the House of Commons, codifying the results of the referendum into a law. Until that point, the results of the referendum are still officially just a recommendation.

Ms Jane Campbell / Shutterstock.com

Ms Jane Campbell / Shutterstock.com

SHARE ON

Advertisement

Why You Should Travel While You’re Still Young

If you’re worried about embarking on a travel adventure and wondering whether it’ll negatively affect your life, the simple answer is “no, it won’t.” In fact, when you stop to take a closer look at it, the benefits considerably outweigh the risks. While in the past it may have looked like a frivolous undertaking, nowadays it’s considered a character-defining experience. If you have the chance to travel now, take it without thinking as your future-self will be forever grateful for the lessons, friends, and memories you will make.

Most Intense Long-Distance Marathons (Not for the Faint of Heart)

For those among us who love a challenge, these long-distance marathons and outdoor challenges are activities that can only be attempted after years of training, with the right gear, and only by those who are mentally ready to undergo such a feat. Here are some of the most intense and challenging marathons in the world.

Cultured Palate: Dishes from South Africa

South Africa’s incredible biodiversity and rich cultural heritage has given it a unique cuisine unlike any other place on Earth. There are visible influences from the Dutch, German, French, and Cape Malay colonizers, as well as indigenous dishes that have been passed down for generations. If you’re spending your next holiday in South Africa, here are some amazing dishes you must try.